There are many different hearing devices on the market in a range shapes, sizes, colour, price and technology levels.
What Are Hearing Aids?
Hearing aids are highly sophisticated amplification devices that when appropriately programmed by a qualified Audiologist, will improve your ability to communicate. Current hearing aids:
- Amplify quiet sounds, but do not over-amplify loud ones
- Make speech understandable while suppressing disruptive noise in loud environments
- Allow you to recognise where sounds are coming from
What are the different types of hearing aids?
…you will remember. They come in a range of styles, size and colours.
1. Behind-the-ear and mini behind-the-ear hearing aids
Most people choose this type of hearing device. They are light, small and discreet.
2. In the ear/canal
You may prefer to have a custom hearing instrument fitted in your ear canal. How visible the device is will depend on the size of your ear canal. In some cases, these can be completely invisible
How Do Hearing Aids Work?
- A microphone picks up sounds
- Sounds are analysed by the processing chip
- Processed sounds are sent to the amplifier
- Amplified sounds are sent to the loudspeaker
- Sounds are transmitted by the loudspeaker into the inner ear where they are transformed into electrical impulses
- Impulses are picked up by the brain where they are processed.